It's nearly time for the 11th doctor, Matt Smith, to appear in his first full episode - we had a taster in January after David Tennant's doctor "didn't want to go". As I posted back in Jan 2009, Matt Smith will have to put in a long stint if he is to regenerate older than the other doctors even at their youngest - even if he plays the part for as long as Tom Baker, he'll still retire as one of the youngest doctors.
The new series starts at Easter - so, what do I want in our new time lord?
- I really don't want him to be shouting 'geronimo' all the time.
- I would like him to appear young, but be old. I don't think I'm getting that judging from the trailers.
- I'd like more involved storylines, without the deux ex-machine endings. I might get that with Stephen Moffat as show-runner. My favourite episode of the Tennant era being 'Blink' (the one with Sally Sparrow)
- I could quite happily do without the "will they/won't they" love-in between doctor and assistant. The answer is: No, no they won't. He's an alien.
- Can we get Sally Sparrow back?
- Did I mention the 'geronimo' thing?
- I'd really like a story arc - more than a narrative laid impossibly on top of the villain of the week. I know there is no way we'll see an extended storyline as in the past - but something lasting three weeks would be nice
- Please, please: don't tie the series to modern day earth. You've got all of time and space, use it!
- Mostly, I would things to be not immediately obvious - but work-outable, and with less use of the sonic screwdriver as a magic wand.
I wonder if we'll get any of that? I wonder too what others are hoping for (or fearing) in the new doctor?