Last year I wrote a useful (to me) post about the six nations trophies, and I thought it'd be good to revisit this. The Six Nations (formerly Five nations, formerly Home Nations) is played annually between England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland (the Home Nations), France (making up the Five Nations) and Italy (the Sixth Nation).
In each game, there are 2 points for winning, 1 for a draw, 0 for losing. 10 points is the Grand Slam, to get 10 points a team must win every game. Last year, Ireland won the ‘Grand Slam’.
Along the way, there are several other trophies to be won.
- The Triple Crown isn't won every year. England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales compete for this - and the winner must beat the three others. If a home nation wins the Grand Slam, they will have won this along the way. Ireland holds this.
- The Millennium Trophy goes to the winner of England vs. Ireland. Ireland hold this trophy.
- The Calcutta Cup is awarded to the winner of England vs. Scotland. England hold this cup.
- The Giuseppe Garibaldi Trophy goes to the winner of France vs. Italy. France hold this trophy.
- The Centenary Quaich goes to the winner of Ireland vs. Scotland, Quaich is a gallic word for 'a drinking vessel'. Ireland are the holders of this.
- The team that finishes in last place gets the 'wooden spoon'. Italy are the holders of the wooden spoon (there isn't an actual spoon!) Wooden spoon is the name given to the charity that supporters formed to help good causes following one year when England 'won' the wooden spoon.
- If a team loses ALL their games, it's a whitewash. Italy got both the whitewash and wooden spoon last year
As I write, we've had two games. Who is still in contention for each of the trophies?
- Grand Slam
- Still Available to England, France, Scotland and Ireland. Wales and Italy have lost their opportunity.
- The Triple Crown
- Still Available to England, Scotland and Ireland. Wales have lost their opportunity.
- The Millennium Trophy
- England and Ireland decide this on the 27th February
- Calcutta Cup
- Scotland and England decide this on the 13th March
- Giuseppe Garibaldi Trophy
- France and Italy decide this on the 14th March
- Centenary Quaich
- Scotland and Ireland decide this on the 20th March
- Wooden spoon
- No team is safe from the wooden spoon
- France, Scotland, Wales and Italy are still in contention for the Whitewash. England and Ireland having both won a game will no longer suffer the ignomy of a whitewash. One of France or Scotland will avoid that fate today.