The Sopranos begins a new season on E4 in the UK this week, on thursday at 10pm. I like 'The Sopranos' a lot. In the unlikely event that you haven't seen it the series covers the life of the Soprano family, funnily enough, who are involved in 'waste management' and other 'business concerns', i.e. they're a New Jersey mafia family. It's constructed in quite a laid back fashion, very little happens, and that's the beauty of it, we hang out with Tony, Chris and the guys - and things happen, before you know it the story moves on. It's compelling viewing, it really is, but I found that it took me a little time to get into it.
The opening sequence is iconic, with Tony Soprano driving out of New York, along the New Jersey Turnpike, and has been spoofed in several places, notably The Simpsons.
Things I'd like to see addressed this season:
- I'd like to see more FBI (I love the John Gunn Theme/Police mashup episode)
- Adriana's involvement with the FBI should be dealt with
- Tony's health issues, can he really head a family?
- Pauli's dissatisfaction needs addressing (I understand that the actor only took the part on the understanding that Pauli wouldn't be a rat)
- The Russian Gangsters... will they find out about Pine Barons?
There are a whole load of things that could be referred to, but these are some of the topics that I'd like to see referred to.
If you're not into the Sopranos, give it a try, you'll probably pick it up reasonably well.